Tuesday, January 25, 2011

REALLY Pink Butterfly Bedroom

My youngest daughter, who is 5, REALLY loves the color pink. Big surprise, I know. So when I was picking out paint colors for her room, I THOUGHT I found the best shade of pink. A warm peachy pink. I was even doing what you're supposed to do when picking a paint color, I chose a coordinating shade from her bedding. But, I went a shade darker to create a little more impact. Well, it definitely created some impact. But more like a slap in the face with a bright flashlight right in the eyes.

Here's what I mean:




Yooouuuch! That's bright! 

 But, even with the flamingo pink walls, I am happy with the look of everything. I was inspired by Pottery Barn Kid's Lindsey Collection. I LOVE it. But, what I loved more was saving some serious dough by getting a little creative.


Since my daughter is Disney Princess OBSESSED. Another shocker, huh? I whipped up some art using my own two hands and some cheap map pencils. I found these beautiful Disney scrap booking stickers and incorporated them into the drawing for a neat dimensional look.


 These two photos are pre-tent canopy. I found an affordable alternative at Ikea for $20! If you compare that to the cost of Pottery Barn Kids, that's an $80 savings!



I made these butterflies out of scrap booking paper and taped them right on the wall. You can check out my other post on paper butterflies here.


My other drawings turned out so well, I decided to make an Alice In Wonderland themed picture too. I drew the background and this time I used Disney and daisy stickers along with a little sheet moss for the tree's foliage. One of my favorite scenes in the original movie is when Alice is singing and laying in the daisies.



I found the dresser on Craigslist and gave it a coat of white. You'll notice that the paint has chipped away from the 2 bottom drawers. But I kind of like the worn away look of it. Plus, the drawers do not open smoothly so I don't really have a choice!


I made my own version of the Rose Lamp from PB kids and saved even more. I found the lamp at Big Lots for a mere $15. I bought all the roses at Hobby Lobby for 50 cents a piece and hot glued them onto the lampshade. I figure I saved about $60 doing it myself. 

Some things I'd like to change: 
New paint color. I'm thinking Benjamin Moore Lavender Ice
New bedding in crisp white with some new patterned decorative pillows. 
New curtains: crisp white

Hopefully sometime, by the end of Spring, I will have updated pictures to show you. Until then, to be continued...
 :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I enjoy reading your comments!